Friday, October 11, 2013

My Visit Impressions - India

When I first visited India in the mid-80s, I was forewarned that I should take all kinds of precautions against infectious diseases. I didn't not just for that first trip but many others subsequently.

I visited Mumbai (then Bombay) and then about 10 other cities for my semiconductor biz. It was all fun, enabling me to meet with all classes of people in the society.

I also visited the home of one Minister who lived on the premises of the Parliament, with satellite receiver dishes to view TV programs from the world. I visited ISRO, and saw how India built the rocket head to be launched in USA. I visited then Bangalore which was rather primitive 3 decades ago, unlike now.

Their airport would close completely for the night when the last arrival flight was cleared. The people in India were very anxious to learn new knowledge esp. in tech. For example they were willing to pay for the databooks which were given free at show booths.

People didn't get a chance to travel outside India for various reasons, and cellular phones yet to be used. So all speakers were surrounded by people to provide answers to satisfy their curiosity and hunger for knowledge.

They would bicycle long distances just to seek their intellectual oasis and were happy to arrive irrespective of countless miles of difficult journey. Reading the huge progress made in India in recent years takes me back in nostalgic recollections of the then places I visited and friendly people I met with.

With lots of fun, fancy and fortitude.

No comments :

Post a Comment