Friday, October 11, 2013

My Visit Impressions - The USA (The Independent Day)

When I first visited Riverside, CA., USA, I flew from Singapore to LAX, uneventfully, in 1985. From LAX, I took a short 20-minute flight by a propeller Fokker non-aircon plane to Ontario, CA.

That was quite an experience. Even my hand carried bag had to be checked in to balance all passengers and their luggage against each other before takeoff. But I enjoyed the low flight path to sight see the valley in the short trip.

I could have driven instead but since it was my very first trip, they decided to make sure I didn't get lost. Then the very next day, the company provided me with a very long car for my use - a Chervolet, on the left hand drive. I felt somewhat uneasy, but then there was nothing to lose, since they had confidence in me.

My motel was not too far from the factory, and the streets along that Columbia Ave., was never busy then, I could drive slower and make some silly mistakes. No harm done.

Within a week I was sort of being seasoned. I ventured to the malls nearby and the restaurants on my own, fearlessly. Working within an all American environment was a bold personal test of judgement and discretion. I got used to their waking up early and arriving at office before 7am, but leaving work at 4.30pm. Evenings were free to roam about the streets. I managed to find two Asian restaurants, and began to patronize the Chinese one more often than the Korean one.

Since phone calls were still rather expensive and emails not so popular then, I had to keep to myself most of the time, making do with watching the CNN programs, reading local papers and my own stuff. As vice president for the Asia Pacific region I began to travel to and fro, breaking up my daily routine and lifestyle monotony.

What I appreciated most was watching how my peers communicate orally with each other, perceiving their thought processing and exercising their skills in high level decision making. They represented the typical American work scenario, on the international plane. It was where I infused the most into my jugular system, the best of American intellectuals. Par excellence.

Why not?

No comments :

Post a Comment