Friday, October 11, 2013

My Visit Impressions - Italy

When I first visited Italy in 1992, I visited the then already world famous Giugiaro Design in a small town on the west coast of the peninsula.

I was to seek their design expertise on one series of electronic products. But I was led to a tour of their design show house, which was highly guarded. Mr. Giugiaro was out but his able daughter led us to a very meaningful and eye opener tour at their build ing basement.

At first I saw nothing but a row of small rooms on each side of the alley, as we walked. As she explained what was inside each room, she opened only momentarily for us to peep inside only for a good glimpse, of what was their design for a specific customer.

No more than a few seconds, for each glimpse, as she apologised for that sort of curt approach. But then to think of it, she was already kind enough as they got paid for their niche ideas and expressions of those ideas, which are rightly copyrightable.

I had a deep impression ever since especially when I get to wear the Giugiaro Design tie, presented to each of us. I know that Italy has always been a nation of design excellence, with deep respect. I now own a few items designed by Italians and in Italy.

I now know how to appreciate them much more than before.

No comments :

Post a Comment