Friday, October 11, 2013

My Visit Impressions - Korea

When I first visited Seoul, Korea in the mid-80s, I was supposed to set up my R&D center for the digital networking chips and later cable modem fledgling industry.

But I had to hire a local manager first as I spoke no Korean, though I could read some of the Chinese characters used widely there. After some strenuous effort, I managed to identify one who spoke rather good and convincing English. I was lucky.

At the final interview, I explained to him to hold on to his then current job, until he received the letter of offer from me, in a rew days' time. He said no need to wait for that written offer, as I had shaken hands with him and said I would hire him.

It shocked me to realize that in Korea nobody need such a written offer, as they Koreans put a huge emphasis on mutual trust and hand shake, which was equivalent to a firm offer.

I eventually hired him which lessened my deep concern about understanding the Korean culture. He taught me more about their Korean culture as I opened his mental windows to flow in international customs, norms and practices. I enjoyed my stay in Korea and especially with many friends who worked their whole life in one of their chaebols.

In those days, the city of Seoul was seen only cars of white, black and grey colors, Today, Korea flies high and mighty, illustrative of its national colorful and wonderful custumes and Yin-yang symbolic flag.

The nation of Morning Calm.

No comments :

Post a Comment